Thursday, January 20, 2011

Camouflage Cake

I made this cake for my boyfriend's 21st birthday. He loves to hunt, so I decided to make him a camouflage cake. Once I decided that was the direction I was going to go in, I googled "how to make a camouflage cake." At first my plan was to cover the cake in camouflage fondant, but after much thought I realized I have little experience with fondant and it was a bad idea. I found some pictures on google of camouflage iced cakes and decided that was the best idea. The cake is a butter recipe cake, which I definitely prefer over regular yellow cake. The icing is a Wilton recipe buttercream, and I used Wilton gel colors to dye the icing. The light green wasn't really the color I wanted, but it worked. I used a star tip and filled in the cake one star at a time. Due to a very limited amount of time to make and decorate this cake, the stars are a little sloppy. I also had planned on decorating some of the cake with orange accents, but ran out of time. Overall, I am super proud of how this cake turned out and it is my favorite so far.. and my boyfriend loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment